Costa Rica is a surfer’s paradise and even more so a fantastic place for leaning how to surf. With usually about three foot waves and tons of beach break, you will be sure to experience what surfers have loved for years by the end of your vacation. After a long day in the sunshine and warm ocean waters you will be stoked to head back to your Costa Rica Vacation Rental to have a nice relaxing evening watching the sun set on the pristine beaches of Tamarindo.
1. Confidence will come with each minor wipe-out you make. You will learn each fall how to better balance yourself, just how many paddles you need to make, and how to get back out past the break once you do catch that perfect wave. Your Tamarindo Vacation Rental is in the perfect location to learn how to surf. With a little confidence, and determination you will be sure to have an amazing surf vacation in Costa Rica.
2. The fins on a surfboard are more important once you have gotten the hang of turning. Soft-tops actually have a rubbery flexible fin, which is again great for anyone around who may accidentally get into contact with it. The fin is still functioning and important but a beginner is less likely to break it, or be injured by it while learning how to surf.
3. Buoyancy is also a great factor in choosing a surfboard. When you are learning it is best to have a very light, and floaty board that will catch you right on top of the wave. Soft-tops are great since when you are learning you typically are near the break of the white water practicing your balance and stability atop the water. A few days on one of these and you will be ready to move down to a little smaller fun-sized board. Lightweight boards are also nicer for the short walk back to your Costa Rica Vacation rental, right up the beach.
4. The soft-top boards are also specifically designed for beginners. If you have ever been on the receiving end of a two-by-four that is about what it feels like to get slapped in the face with your surfboard or someone else’s. Especially when you are learning, anything that can provide a bit of a cushion for you, the better. This is also good because learners tend to just release the board when a big wave comes, just in case someone is nearby on the receiving end of your soft-top it will insure that it wont be a disastrous hit.
5. The longer boards are perfect for the beginner. The length helps you catch the wave easier with less effort and if the waves aren’t too big, it helps you catch even the smallest of waves. The length also gives you some room for error. You generally just need to be somewhere in the center of the board, which on a small board can mean too far forward and you will experience a nose dive, too far back and you will never catch a single wave. The long boards for beginners are great that you can just chill in the water paddle a couple of strokes and you will glide right into the face of the wave. Even on this long board you will still get your work out in and will be beyond happy to get home to your Tamarindo Vacation Rental to Relax.
Planning your Costa Rica Vacation this year and can’t stop daydreaming about endless days of surfing, relaxing, and enjoying some sunshine. Dead set on getting a photo of you hanging ten by the end of the trip so you can make it your Facebook profile pic, or your screen saver at work. Countless times people go into surf shops and refuse a lesson, and pick the coolest looking board they can get their hands on. While you might feel cool walking down the beach with a nice 6-foot board in tow, you will quickly realize that the small and gentle waves in Tamarindo are perfect for learning, but you won’t be catching much on that tiny board you have chosen.