Planning a vacation to the sunny coastlines of Costa Rica? Have your Tamarindo Vacation Rental all booked and ready? Well don’t forget to prepare yourself for some of the glorious sunshine you are about to encounter. Sure, you may have all of your tanning oils and bathing suits packed, but you will need a little more preparation then that for this vacation to tropical paradise. Remember Costa Rica is a lot closer to the equator than many locations, so the sun is blistering in all of its glory. Here are five simple tips on how to protect yourself from the sunshine, ensuring you have a marvelous trip to your tropical beach destination.
5. Bring a sunhat. Yes a baseball cap will suffice but when you are kayaking up the estuaries, or hiking in the jungle, or even taking a stroll on the beach, the back of your neck will be sure to get a lot of sun. A good sunhat will block your neck and your face from overexposure.
4. A sunblock stick. Any brand will do just fine but the sticks of sunblock that are designed specifically for your face can be a lifesaver. While there are many “waterproof” sun blocks out there for your face, most of them drip into your eyes during watersports or even when sweating. These little waxy sticks stay in place, come in all increments of blockage, and are easy to carry around with you anywhere you go. Around $5 a pop you can afford to bring a few of these little gems on your vacation with you.
3. Waterproof block. All blocks need to be reapplied regularly even if they say that they are “waterproof” or “water resistant.” Take this into consideration and pack at least a few bottles of block since you will be putting it on often. Also do not skimp on the SPF. You don’t need 15, 25 or 30. Go with 50 SPF or higher. You will still get plenty of sunshine, believe me, the sun there is very, very powerful.
2. Take breaks from the sunshine when you can. Remember if you woke up early to take a stroll on the beach, then went for a surf lesson for a few hours, and then laid out for a bit after that, you do NOT need a seat at lunch out in the sunshine. Also, later when relaxing at the pool, pick an area out of the sun. You will be happy the next day when you aren’t blistered with sunburn, a mistake too many tourists make on their first trip to paradise.
1. Alternate your sunshine activities. Try not to pack all of your sun filled activities into the front end of your trip. If you take a surf lesson in the morning, then spend your afternoon taking a nature hike underneath the protection of the trees in the jungle. If you go for a kayak tour the next morning, then maybe save your zip lining for another day. Remember that while you can’t get enough of the warm glow of the Costa Rican sunshine, your skin can, and it will. Lather up and take some breaks at your Costa Rican vacation rental to give your skin a break.